Friday, November 07, 2014

NaBloPoMo day 7: London gloaming


I was going to talk about last night's wonderful Waterstones event in the second half of the book theme, but I'll do that tomorrow.  For tonight, just a couple of London photos.

I always try to get the 11 bus from Westminster to Liverpool Street on a Friday night - the 1645 train out of King's Cross is the Train from Hell and only gets worse after Cambridge, and the 1707 from Liverpool Street is infinitely more civilised; in addition, the multiple M&S branches in Liverpool Street and the Huge Boots Branch are all very useful.

I was on one of the new Routemasters; they're... interesting. Love the return to being able to get on and off at the back; but they do look a little bit as if they've been designed by an alien Duplo-based lifeform.  Here, there's a 24 in front of us in the same design.

20141107_161432~2


The bus wasn't meant to be the focus of the picture; Nelson had a particularly Turneresque sky to set him off this evening, as the sun set.

And then we headed along the Strand towards Fleet Street (the two streets are divided by a dragon in the middle of the road. As you do.)

20141107_162157


The building on the left is the Royal Courts of Justice, another wonderfully bonkers Victorian Gothic edifice.  With the light, it all looked a little bit like fairyland.  In another couple of weeks it'll be dark while I'm doing this journey, so making the most of it while I can.

Another reason to be cheerful was having lunch with an old friend who was in the area; and is likely to be in the area a lot more from now on because of a new job.   So while I was shattered this morning, and am still behind with absolutely everything, I'm heading into the weekend in an unusually positive frame of mind. About to try and get chores done now to start the weekend well...

1 comment:

Snoskred said...

Hey there, I found you via the NaBloPoMo blogroll.

Beautiful shots. I love all things UK so you have a new reader for longer than just November. ;)

I was just saying to someone the other day that shows and movies filmed in the UK has this special quality to it. I think partly for me it was growing up watching The Bill, which I was a huge fan of. I think the other part is the different landscapes. :)

As part of NaBloPoMo I try to comment on as many participating blogs as I can, and I also add participating blogs to my feed reader.

So I'm just dropping by to let you know I've added your blog to my feedreader, I'm reading you loud and clear, I have a link up going at my place so my readers can find participating blogs which you are more than welcome to add your blog link to.

Looking forward to seeing your posts, and you'll likely see me drop by again during November.

Happy NaBloPoMo to you!
Snoskred
www.snoskred.org