Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Think this might be working...


I think I remember the feeling at the start that this might be going on forever, from last time I worked this pattern.  I think it's the instruction "cast on 331 sts" that's a little bit doom-laden.  It might be more stitches, even - I've got past that point...

But the rows are starting to get shorter, and this time, I'm using beads instead of nupps, at the recipient's request.  [She doesn't know about nupps; but she requested beads...]  The recipient is my Mam, and I'm extraordinarily happy that she came up with a colour, and a shape, and an idea of breaking things up with beads or a bit of variegation.  I know she really does wear the knitted stuff that fits in with the rest of her wardrobe, so I'm pretty confident this will get used, and obviously that's great.  She's someone who's absolutely aware and appreciative of how long these things take to do, so I'd get marks for effort anyway - but that's not much cop if you've spent months working away at something which doesn't co-ordinate and will moulder away in a drawer...

So - working with
  • dark brown, limited-edition, British alpaca from a small herd; 
  • Honey-coloured translucent beads which take on much of the colour of the alpaca while retaining some sheen;
  • Addi lace needles which make seeing the stitches so much easier on dimly-lit trains;
  • And a really excellent small project bag which came with an even more excellent large knitting bag at the weekend;
Really, no wonder this is fun...

miralda2_2


Got the third ball of four out of the reserve bag tonight, and tipped another handful of beads into the tin...  All set for tomorrow.

1 comment:

Mary deB said...

I do not need another bag. I do not need another bag. (I really like that bag.) But I do not need another bag!