Sunday, November 18, 2012

Yackety yak

I had all sorts of plans for practical and knitting things I was going to do today; and here I am, at 5pm, the world outside dark and none of them done...

The day got off to a slow start when I realised I'd not set the heating to come on; so I got up, switched that on, made a cuppa and took it back to bed to listen to the Test match (hurrah for Alastair Cook and Matt Prior, I say...)  Two hours later...  Ah well.

The other distracting factor was the unexpected entry of yak down into my life. My visitors yesterday arrived bearing gifts; including some rather gorgeous yarn containing yak...  It looked at me as soon as I got it out of the bag last night, and quite clearly said Fingerless mittens in geometric slip-stitch, please.  Which was a little weird, but it had, after all, come from a household which includes talking sock yarn and a delinquent sheep...

So today I went looking for a stitch pattern I had in the back of my head - and actually found it first time, which never happens.  It was given as written instructions (not my favourite) for flat knitting, which is no good for mitts - even if I wanted to do seams, I know to my cost that however good the seams in mittens are, they will eventually come undone - so I've had a go at charting it in the round, and hope that works...

yakmitts1

I have a slightly unnerving feeling that it will - this has come together absurdly well so far...  But I really, really need to be doing Christmas knitting instead...

And on a completely different tack - reasons to be glad the US re-elected Obama, #45323


2 comments:

Chai said...

What beautiful pictures, Liz. Wish I was one of those friends being shown around--right now, this minute! (If I could just lose the sprained foot, of course. . . .)

stash haus said...

Love the link.

And kudos on charting at the end of the day. It's like casting on lace after midnight for me - best to proceed with caution.