Sunday, November 25, 2012

Indian-ish


Got up early this morning to make the most of the (rather marvellous) cricket on Test match special - not quite at 4am, but during the lunch-break, so around 6:30am.  It was horribly blustery and still very, very dark...

It was definitely a morning which demanded a nice pot of tea, in fact.  Somehow, a cup just won't do in these circumstances.  I've been really remiss with using leaf tea this year, though, and wasn't even really sure what there was in all the caddies - so a lot of sniffing and labelling went on while the first pot was brewing, and now the caddies are organised.  Had to be Assam for a first brew, and to fit in with the Mumbai Test.  Assam is currently masquerading as mélange Hédiard, as I haven't visited a Hediard in several years...

teas

While I was looking at the spice cabinet, I gave it a bit of a sort-out and realphabetised it.  I used to buy spices at Daily Bread, but since I've not had access to a car, I get them at Al-Amin's "rice and spice den".  The spice cabinet was something of an afterthought when we redesigned the kitchen; some of the advantages of wall cabinets without the "wall of furniture" feel.  The designer worked from a back-of-the-envelope drawing and this is the result.

spicecabinet 

Also did a bit of weaving.  I'm not sure whether this is "tartan".  Or, to continue the theme, "madras", which would have been more apt if the Test had been in Chennai...

I think I'm calling it "mad plaid" as a compromise.  Fun to do, anyway, even if some of the feltier yarns are making getting a clean shed for the weaving stick a little bit difficult...

madplaid

Off out soon to Winter Wordfest.  Tony and Melissa Benn followed by Rose Tremain.

1 comment:

littlelixie said...

"Getting a clean shed for the weaving stick" sounds like a euphemism!