Sunday, May 20, 2012

POTW: 20 May 2012

This is a new idea I've been kicking around - I like Pick of the Week on Radio 4 on a Sunday evening, and for the next few weeks life's going to be pretty busy, but I do like blogging.  So let's try this.  Some of the things I've liked this week...

Spinning
I've been spinning up some lovely Shetland I bought at Fibre-East last year, from Sara's Texture Crafts.  The colour's called Bohemian.  I think it must have been quite a dark colour before it was dyed but the intensity of colour is lovely.  I haven't spun Shetland before, and found I couldn't do the stripping-down thing I usually do with top, so was spinning it up in much thicker chunks, which means I have longer runs of colour than usual.

bohemianspin1

Really glad I bought two packages of this... here's the other 100g...

bohemianspin2

 I think I have another plait of Shetland somewhere - it's quite addictive because it's sticky enough that I don't keep breaking the fibre as I normally do...

Knitting
I have various secret-ish projects on the needles, in a variety of weights of yarn...  One I can show a bit of is a sideways knit jacket for Coral-from-IKnit's new baby.  I love the colours in this one...  For some reason I thought I could make this jacket seamless - I got to the end of the first sleeve and realised my mistake!  Anyway, all it needs is a bit of a press, a couple of buttons and a matching hat...

colour

I also have a finished object I can now share - Katie White's lovely Willow River pattern has come out and is available for download.  I knitted it in Sparkleduck's Genie yarn, which is what it was written for...  It's really cleverly constructed with a shaped border, picked up along the selvedge and then ribbed with short-rowing and a cabled edging which makes it easy to block along the long edge...

willowriver3

willowriver2

Sport
The cricket is on.  The weather's no better at Lord's than it is here, so the poor West Indies side are shivering away in the cold, but play is happening...  and the voices of Test Match Special (well, other than Geoffrey Boycott's, anyway) make me smile.  Blowers has located his first pigeon and first crane of the season; all's right with the world.

In other sporting-and-knitting-crossover news, the Woolsack project, part of the Cultural Olympiad, has been having no end of difficulty with LOCOG and its corporate sponsors.  There was actually an article in Private Eye this week about their travails, and this great blog post which summarises the difficulties.  The Woolsack organisers are made of sterner stuff though, and have found alternative distribution channels.  And I've just seen a post that Usain Bolt has been alerted to the project on Twitter by another Jamaican athlete...  let's hope the momentum builds...

Other media
Loved the cover of Private Eye this week.   As soon as I saw the dress, that was exactly what occurred to me, too.  And yes, they do use the line "I saw Goody Cameron with the devil..." in the accompanying article.

Great interview with Rhod Gilbert in this week's Standard  magazine.  Including:
"I was in my dressing room before the Teenage Cancer Trust gig recently when there was a knock at the door.  For a laugh, I just shouted 'Whoever that is can f*** right off... and bring me some red M&Ms and a good-looking sheep.'  Then I opened the door to a rather sheepish Roger Daltrey.  He said 'I'm really sorry to bother you but I just wanted to say thanks for being part of the show tonight.'  That was awkward."

Still catching up with The Bridge on the iPlayer; I really like the Danish detective...

If you're reading this on Sunday 20th, the Observer food monthly has some lovely British recipes for the Jubilee from famous chefs.

File under misc.
I did an Excel course this week at work - I'm not sure how relevant it's going to be at work just at the moment, but it's going to revolutionise my slightly obsessive stash-cataloguing and count of yarn knitted up...

2 comments:

Pigwotflies said...

Maybe I should follow your example? I'm too tired to blog regularly, but I miss it.

Lovely purple mini mochi yarn arrived. Thank you very much! Mittens will result at some point. I hope before the winter.

Liz said...

Glad it arrived! Do blog the mittens when you make them...