Sunday, May 17, 2009

3:15 project update 9

... or, about damn time...

These are the photos from a fortnight ago - I was swanning round Vienna last weekend so didn't get any gardening done... I'll take the 3:15 photos as usual this weekend but probably won't put them up until tomorrow or Tuesday - I'd like to get some Vienna ones up later today! So - the view out onto the Green, where it's beginning to look very spring-like indeed...

The side - after the blackbirds had been at it. Every year at about this time, they ravage the gutters and roofs and hurl the accumulated moss all over the place; presumably in search of interesting insects for their young... but it is actually more convenient to have them do it than to have to clear the stuff off the roof myself!

Picture 3: the main difference is the right-hand side where I'm starting to make Serious Inroads into the honeysuckle at the far end and also chopped down a fair amount of flowering currant.

Not much change up at this end although everything's growing...

Next door's clematis is flowering in the rose-bush - sometimes they open at the same time but I'm not sure that's going to happen this year.
The best bit, though, and the about damn time bit, is this...
That there is wisteria. Flowering. In my garden. After FIFTEEN YEARS. We were given the plant as a post-wedding present by a college friend when she visited in 1994; and it's just grown quietly into a big plant, bare in the winter, pretty buds and feathery leaves through the summer - but no flowers; nothing. I couldn't even remember whether it was meant to be a white one or a purple one (yay for purple, but, you know, either would have been fine)! This spring I went out on March 1 to disinter the garden, and I threatened it with uprooting if it didn't flower by the end of next spring... and there it is. Sooo pretty. There are probably a dozen flower heads in total - not a huge number for a big plant but so very, very welcome.
As ever, click to embiggen the photos.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Threats must be the international language of wisteria -- I tried the same tactics with mine in TX, and got great results!

Kate