Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Some finishings...

A constructive post!



I've done quite a lot of knitting recently - but one of the biggest pieces was a secret. Here it is, an Icarus for Jan in some Fleece Artist/HandMaiden Angel Hair, a 70% mohair/30% nylon yarn... the second one I've made to this pattern, and if they haven't discontinued this yarn by the time Ally Pally comes round, I'll be in the market for some for me...





I also finished the Jitterbug socks - pattern as on the ballband except for the 3 x 1 rib and a short-row heel; lovely, lovely yarn.






This is a small shawl for a friend in Canada - she's had it in the post now, so I can blog it. It's another of the Forest Canopy Shoulder Shawl which is a really lovely pattern to knit - just complicated enough to keep your interest, but nice DVD knitting. The yarn is some hand-dyed sock yarn (my dyeing - but I can't remember which colours I used). Here it is on the lovely needles from Pavi Yarns






and here it is in the blocking process getting Amelia's Patent Dryness Test






and the stitch detail...






Some baby knitting also got done. This is the Baby Kimono from the wonderful Mason-Dixon book, in some hand-dyed Jaeger superwash merino. The baby's a girl - I'll hand the kimono over to the father when he gets back from paternity leave next week...


And a Baby Surprise Jacket - which was great fun to knit. This is Schoeller and Stahl yarn from Web of Wool - in the Hummingbird colourway. Like Trekking, it doesn't have a true repeat, and like Trekking I knew this would irritate the hell out of me in knitting socks. I really did think I was laid-back enough not to care that my socks didn't exactly match - but nope. So I know what my stash of Trekking is going to become - with this pattern, because of the really strange construction, the pattern matches perfectly!


And I found half a dozen buttons in my stash which match the yarn and are about the same size (I'm not quite that much of a symmetry freak). I don't know who this is for - there are several babies due to friends this summer - so the buttons will wait until I know its gender - you make buttonholes on both fronts, which is another wonderful feature of this pattern!



I hope to have some more finished stuff to show soon - the endless Trekking scarf which SkipNorthers may remember is finally done and I'll block that tomorrow morning before work; and Ragna is knitted, but I don't like the neckband, so I'll have to do that again... But as I only have one set of socks and one lace thing on the needles - tonight, I'm actually going to start some things!!

4 comments:

Rosie said...

What glorious FOs. All I've got to show for the last few months is a bagful of false starts. Above all I love that baby kimono:how much yarn did it take?

Am looking forward to seeing the trekking scarf, I bet its "pretty": did it end up "8" feet long? (Sorry, evil jest, couldn't resist...)

Liz said...

The baby kimono took about 80g of DK... Jackie found more or less the same when she did hers...

Don't know how long the Trekking scarf will be yet! That'll depend on how it blocks...

Nickerjac said...

I got the chance to see Icarus on Saturday and it was absolutely beautiful :)

Unknown said...

What is there to say, all is beautiful including the cat!