Monday, May 07, 2007

Might have known...

... that the "I can't count to 8" scarf would still be taunting me to the end... I'd had this vision of pulling out the end points (4) and adding the previously-made tassels (8). Until I blocked it yesterday. It is immensely long (84" or 210cm), and the same width as the folded-out cover of A Presumption of Death (standard size hardback thriller), which was what I had to hand as a ruler at the time... So I went to one end and pinned out the four points;
and then to the other end and pinned out the... five points. And then wondered why, given that it was a ripple-stitch pattern and I hadn't grafted it in the middle, I had ever imagined there would be only 8 points. And then I went back to the pattern (Brickwork, scroll down to see it) and noticed that she hadn't pinned out points after all and it was just the weight of the tassel...

But I'd started pinning by then, and I really liked the points, and had a little yarn left, so behold ... nine tassels ...
It seemed fitting somehow, from a pattern which had got the better of me all the way through ! It did block beautifully though, and I'm going to enjoy wearing it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't count, just enjoy!

Anonymous said...

This really is the "can't count to 8" scarf :-)

Anonymous said...

Ah, the ripple stitch effect! It looks lovely; enjoy wearing it next winter.