Friday, March 16, 2007

In a spin

Thanks to advice from Isabella, Sue and Ruth at SkipNorth last weekend, I've got my Louët wheel out of the corner this week. I've gone in to work later and spent a few minutes each morning while vaguely awake messing around with the tension and trying to spin. And at the end of the week, I have a lumpy chunky alternately over-and-underspun 93g of yarn; which beats last year's production, anyway! And I think I spun (span? someone help me?) one bobbin clockwise and one anticlockwise, which really didn't help with the plying...



The yarn is pictured on top of my new 'Ningbo Future' electronic scale for yarn-weighing. 'Ningbo' allegedly means 'Serene Waves'. Let's hope...



The colours are pretty. And I shall persevere.

9 comments:

Spinningfishwife said...

Well, I think it`s gorgeous. Fabulous colours!(And so very much your colours, lol.) Aren`t you glad you got your wheel out?

Don`t stop now...keep practicing till it`s in your fingers for life. And yes, singles clockwise, ply anticlockwise. Spin Z-twist, ply S-twist, usually.

Nic said...

That looks lovely! I must admit I am thinking hmmm spinning wheel, now that would be nice after seeing Ruth spinning at the weekend.
Nic
x

Rachel said...

That's scrummy! And thanks for teaching us about dyeing at Skipnorth.

Knitting@number9 said...

That looks lovely Liz. I would really love to learn to spin but don't have enough hours in the day as it is!

Anonymous said...

Ooooh, nice! Love the colours...

TutleyMutley said...

'Pretty' doesn't do that rainbow of magic colours justice! mmmmm.

Rosie said...

Wow!! Drool...

E-J said...

Yes, the colours are *really* pretty. You clever thing you!

I bet it's refreshing to set out for the office in the morning having already done something so creative.

Wye Sue said...

I cant see anything wrong with that !! I found it was easier to spin with the ryeland roving than merino to start with.
I dont have any tension set up on my wheel and it works ok.
And plying is easier to see what is happening with two different colours - as I found out yesterday !!
Enjoy and there are not enough hours in the day ;-)