Saturday, December 30, 2006

Knitting from stash

I'm going to try this for 2007



The main rules are on the WendyKnits blog; but having inventorised the stash in the autumn and discovered there's a Lot of Yarn there (as if the 12 plastic crates in the loft couldn't have told me that anyway); and read the discussion on the SkipNorth list about 'yarn diets', I'm up for it. With some changes to the Rules. Mine are:


1. The Knit-From-Your-Stash-a-Thon will start January 1, 2007 and run through September 30, 2007 -- a period of nine months.

2. I will not buy any yarn during that period, with the following exceptions:
2.a. Sock yarn does not count* [This is the only way of ensuring sanity during visits to, say, Stash, where the urge to pillage the shelves is strong but a ball of sock yarn will probably assuage the craving...]
2.b. If someone asks for a specific knitted gift that I really and truly do not have the yarn for, I may buy yarn to knit that gift.
2.c. If I am knitting something and run out of yarn, I may purchase enough to complete the project.
2.d. I am allowed two "Get Out of Jail Free" cards -- I am allowed to fall off the wagon at Textiles in Focus, where proximity to Woolly Workshop for three days guarantees failure of resolve; and at SkipNorth, which was booked in September for the express purpose of acquiring cheap and unusual yarns.

3. I am allowed to receive gifts of yarn; and purchase yarn as gifts for other people, on legitimate occasions such as birthdays (as opposed to occasions such as "we're-both-Knitting-from-our-Stash-so-if-we-pay-for-each-other's-and-then-settle-up-in-the-pub-later-it-doesn't-count-days").

4. Yarn bought specifically for dyeing for sale to others is exempt.


* but I have to knit up a quantity of sock yarn from stash in order to be able to buy the same quantity again...


Let's see how it goes. Gulp.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's not too bad - you can still buy Koigu and Shepherd Sock! :)

Unknown said...

You're a braver woman than I

Mary deB said...

I think you can do it, Liz!

I missed the sale the other day, but I couldn't really think clearly about what I should stock up on, anyways. Like I usually need a plan??

Bonne chance!

Liz said...

You're right, Wibbo. I've added an extra condition - too easy!

dianemulholland said...

Oh you brave girl!I am only on a diet till Skip North but then I only have a small stash.

I will be keeping an eye on you when you visit - only sock yarn allowed ;-)

Liz said...

SkipNorth is one of the allowed exceptions, though... no monitoring needed!

Rosie said...

I'm impressed: both by your resolution and by your very-orgnaised looking stash.

Daisy said...

I'm signing up too!