I'm going to try this for 2007
The main rules are on the WendyKnits blog; but having inventorised the stash in the autumn and discovered there's a Lot of Yarn there (as if the 12 plastic crates in the loft couldn't have told me that anyway); and read the discussion on the SkipNorth list about 'yarn diets', I'm up for it. With some changes to the Rules. Mine are:
1. The Knit-From-Your-Stash-a-Thon will start January 1, 2007 and run through September 30, 2007 -- a period of nine months.
2. I will not buy any yarn during that period, with the following exceptions:
2.a. Sock yarn does not count* [This is the only way of ensuring sanity during visits to, say, Stash, where the urge to pillage the shelves is strong but a ball of sock yarn will probably assuage the craving...]
2.b. If someone asks for a specific knitted gift that I really and truly do not have the yarn for, I may buy yarn to knit that gift.
2.c. If I am knitting something and run out of yarn, I may purchase enough to complete the project.
2.d. I am allowed two "Get Out of Jail Free" cards -- I am allowed to fall off the wagon at Textiles in Focus, where proximity to Woolly Workshop for three days guarantees failure of resolve; and at SkipNorth, which was booked in September for the express purpose of acquiring cheap and unusual yarns.
3. I am allowed to receive gifts of yarn; and purchase yarn as gifts for other people, on legitimate occasions such as birthdays (as opposed to occasions such as "we're-both-Knitting-from-our-Stash-so-if-we-pay-for-each-other's-and-then-settle-up-in-the-pub-later-it-doesn't-count-days").
4. Yarn bought specifically for dyeing for sale to others is exempt.
* but I have to knit up a quantity of sock yarn from stash in order to be able to buy the same quantity again...
Let's see how it goes. Gulp.