Sunday, May 28, 2006

Holiday weekend

And it's actually feeling like that... Yesterday was alternately vile and steamingly summery. Today was almost entirely sunny and warm; I was able to hack down a recycling-bin full of clippings and weeds and can now see halfway down the garden; and barbecued and ate outside for the first time this year.

To celebrate this, an outdoor knitting photo:


This is Lorna's birthday cardigan. Lorna isn't quite 5 yet (but will be next Friday, so I need to get a move on), and her parents are way too busy to be reading this. I'm using basic measurements from the Tadpoles and Tiddlers book and the Soft Chevrons stitch from Jan's ripple stitch book. The yarn is a mixture of Sirdar Rio, a gift/leftover from Jan, which makes up the rainbow stripes, and Wendy cotton DK in a mixed blue/navy, bought at a very good ex-LYS during their closing down sale a few years ago, for the main thing. All from stash (hoorah!). I need to check on buttons - I'm fancying the idea of odd ones in the right colours at the moment - I'll get the box out tomorrow.

At Cambridge Ktog yesterday Avril had various crochet hooks and miscellaneous knitting impedimenta on offer against donations to Rosie in Stitches. Including this

which was too intriguing to leave. I also picked up a set of DPNs in fake tortoiseshell (one of those "look; a shiny thing!" moments... )

Also discovered this week (along with the fact that running a multimillion-dollary company is exactly like running a lemonade stand; allegedly; and that I no longer have any patio chairs, having left them out in the rain all winter to the extent that all the wooden slats have perished) that Sew Creative in King Street have started stocking Brittany needles. I'm reasonably good at convincing myself I have Too Much Yarn (not least because it's true). Beautiful needles with deco ends, not so much. Need to keep out of there even more on my weekly trip in to town at lunchtime...

2 comments:

Rosie said...

My Ma's got a row counter/needle gauge exactly like that. Well, she had, until I stole it from her...

Adore the jumper that you're making and think that buttons to pick up the stripe colours would look particularly fine.

Anonymous said...

The cardigan looks lovely! No, you're wrong - one can never have too much yarn......or too many needles......