Thursday, March 16, 2006

Second attempt



The replacement wrap is finished; here it is with the top, skirt and handbag. The skirt is ankle-length (and so you get more greeny colour on view), but sewing hangers on it is beyond me at the moment so you get the general effect... The Symphony wrap pressed out very nicely and the drape is way better than it would be as a coat - I used 8mm needles which would probably be the equivalent of someone with "normal" tension knitting on a 9.5mm with this yarn. I also remembered the blackberry-coloured handbag I didn't sell at Textiles in Focus which turns out to be a good match.

I realised last week that these colours meant I had an Occasion to wear the necklace I made in silversmithing years ago (1992, at an adult ed. centre in Camden/Kentish Town), so here's a pic of that too. The main piece measures 9cm from fastening to fastening, the stones are garnets and malachite, and there's a brooch-pin on the back so it's dual-purpose. Obviously it's a deliberately Art Nouveau design; not as symmetrical or delicate as a professional would have got it, but I was only in London for a year. Buying the silver and the stones in Hatton Garden was a wonderful experience; there were people buying literally thousands of pounds' worth of gold, and precious stones, at the same places.

6 comments:

Mary deB said...

That looks great. The necklace is lovely and it must have been fun to do that sort of work. I'd love to try it some day.

Nickerjac said...

The wrap looks great and I love the colour combination and the necklace is beautiful

Rosie said...

the wrap is gorgeous and the necklace is stunning. you'll upstage the bride!

Liz said...

Thanks all! I have to read tomorrow, so all positive comments really welcome! I'll post a photo or two to let you know how it all goes!

Fred said...

I love the wrap even though it isn't something I could wear :) Like Nickerjac I love the colour combo.

Unknown said...

That wrap is beautiful, Liz.